LIST OF 2016 WRITE-A-THON / WRITE FOR RIGHTS CASES
The list of cases for this year’s Write For Rights has been finalized. More information will be coming as we get closer to the event timeframe.
1) Azerbaijan (HRD Campaign): Free Bayram Mammadov and Qiyas Ibrahimov, the two are youth activists, prisoners of conscience, torture survivors and Human Rights Defenders
2) Cameroon: Free Fomusoh Ivo Feh, a student facing execution just for a sarcastic text message about Boko Haram
3) Canada: Stop construction of the Site C hydroelectric dam, which will destroy the land of indigenous people
4) China (HRD Campaign): Free Ilham Tohti, a professor jailed in China for life due to his work calling for the rights of the Uighur people in China
5) Egypt: Free Shawkan, a photojournalist and prisoner of conscience jailed for his photography of security forces killing people at a sit-in protest in Cairo
6) Indonesia: Free Johan Teterissa, a primary school teacher and prisoner of conscience in Indonesia, jailed for leading a peaceful protest in front of the President of Indonesia in 2007
7) Iran: Medical treatment for and release of Zeynab Jalalian, a 32-year old Iranian Kurdish woman and torture survivor serving a life sentence for her alleged membership in a Kurdish opposition group
8) Malawi: Protect Annie Alfred, a 10-year old child with albinism at risk of abduction and murder
9) Peru (HRD Campaign): Stop the harassment of Human Rights Defender Máxima Acuña and her family by a mining company trying to take their land
10) Turkey (HRD Campaign): Stop the prosecution of Eren Keskin, a journalist and prominent Human Rights Defender
11) USA: Free Leonard Peltier, jailed for over 40 years on the basis of an unfair legal process.
12) USA: Ask President Obama to pardon Edward Snowden, a whistle-blower, not a traitor.